At the Halfway Mark Through the Winternship ~

Hi, Jag here.
When I was 3D printing my object for the assignment due Tuesday, I noticed that the machine started hiccupping, and that the lines created were not very consistent. Over here, it still looks fine, but later on it got more obvious. After my print is done, I want to take a look if there is a clog somewhere in the tube. The wheels tuned then "jumped" every 5 seconds. Though I was greatly annoyed, I decided to proceed and see the outcome for time reasons.

In the image below, you can see both straight (diagonal) lines and circular lines. The circular lines, as I would like to reiterate, are the brim forming the support of the object. Though it is not necessary for the case of a coaster, we still want to practice printing with a brim.



Rewind back a few more hours to TEC 101.
I tested out designing objects from my own imagination.

Here, I started to see how the world of mathematics and engineering combine. It is fascinating. I click on the axis perpendicular to me (in this case, the Z axis) and sketch a circle of diameter 5in. I click on "Boss" to extrude my object to 7in., return to sketch and do an inner circle of diameter 4.5in I extrude it to 6.5in. The result is a pencil holder.

I wanted to make a mug, but I am still not sure how to create the holder. Note to self: learn how to extrude with rotation.


I also wanted to switch things up from a circle to a rhombus. The problem came when I realized my inner and outer rhombuses had different axes. After a while, I gave up experimenting and started reading Chapter 2. I also want to try this again the next time.



As I fumbled around, Elda took the wiser approach of following through the Textbook guide. I did learn a lot from the mistakes, however!😅

All in all, it was a very productive session. I found that our knowledge in mathematics boosted our learning process of CAD.
We want to advance our CAD skills and also be able to independently produce/assemble a prosthetic hand. There is much to take away in this project, and the process has been very much enjoyable. I'm excited for what the next week holds!

Ciao!

-Jag

Comments

Popular Posts